Thursday, January 9, 2014

Horseshoes and a Chunk of Wood get a New Life

Remember a while back I made a beautiful winter wreath from an old horse harness?
You can check it out here.
 
I used horseshoes as part of the decoration for the wreath and I had a few extras.
 
I also had a rescued chunk of rough sawn wood, that I saved from our burn pile.
 
I knew that I wanted to make the wood piece into a candle holder,
but the idea to add the horseshoes came when I laid the chunk of wood on the counter in my workshop next to the box of extra horseshoes.
 
 

The chunk of wood and the horseshoes got a good cleaning to start.
 
 
I measured and marked the wood where it needed to be drilled for the candle holders
 
 
once the five candle holder spaces were drilled
 
 
 the horseshoes were nailed to each end
 
 
I sanded the wood to help smooth out the rough edges
and gave the entire piece a protective matte finish,
then added five votive candles.
 
 
I picture this piece with greenery and flowers around it
as a centrepiece at a rustic, country wedding.
 
It is also a great size for a mantle.
 
 
Considering the wood was going to get burned and the horseshoes were going to scrap,
I'd say they got a new life!
 
 
Don't you just love repurposing projects?
I'd love it if you shared one of your repurposing projects with me.
 
 
 
'til next time,
post signature
 
 
 
 
Linking to:
My Repurposed Life
Funky Junk Interiors
Minettes Maze

11 comments:

  1. This is such a pretty project!
    KC

    ReplyDelete
  2. This would look so fabulous in a log cabin. Oh, wait.... LOL! It would be perfect on your mantle! So creative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laurel, unfortunately there's a TV on our mantle :(

      Delete
  3. Oh My goshI LOVE this!!!!!!!! Please come share this on a party I cohost DIY Sunday Showcase! It opens today at 5!!! I would really like to pin this one to our talent board!! Hope to see you there!

    Shelly
    minettesmaze.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shelly, thank you so much for the compliment and the invite. I'll be sure to drop by!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for coming over and sharing with us! It's pinned to our talent board!

      Shelly
      minettesmaze

      Delete
  4. Love the idea. But, I'm of the belief that a horseshoe in this direction is bad luck and the horseshoes ought to be turned the other way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just found your blog this morning. Wow - I love this project! Very neat :)

    Have a blessed day!
    Sherri

    ReplyDelete