Saturday, January 24, 2015

Thrift Store Finds turned into Kitchen Farm Table

It all started when I found two rush seat chairs at a thrift store.
They were in great condition and really didn't need any work.
However, I couldn't leave well enough alone.
I thought they would look cute painted white with a wood top table with white legs.



The chairs were green to start with. 
I removed the rush seats, sanded the chairs, primed, painted and lightly distressed them.


The table legs were found outside of a different thrift store in another state.
They are wood, but had a compressed wood top that had been out in the wet weather too long.
The gentleman at the store kindly let us remove the top and only purchase the base of the table.


The original table had a leaf. To allow the table to slide open to fit the leaf,  
the pieces connecting the legs on two sides were not connected.

To prepare the base for a table top I connected the two side pieces by screwing pieces of wood along the inside of each half. This gave me a solid square base to work with.
The base of the table was also sanded, primed, painted and lightly distressed.


The top of the table is made from two 6 foot pieces of pine. 
One piece was 10 inches wide and the other piece was 8 inches wide.
Each board was cut in half to create four 3 foot boards.
They were glued together along each edge and braced underneath with two boards
creating a 3 foot by 3 foot table top.

Once the table top was attached to the base, I sanded it smooth 
and sanded the edges and corners so they are rounded just a little.
I also distressed it some, by beating it with a large chain and a bag full of rocks.
This was just to give the wood an aged look.
The wood table top received two coats of stain and two coats of protective varnish.

I really like how the set looks together and I love the rustic, natural touches of the wood top and rush seats.



This set is heading to my booth and hopefully it will find the perfect home in someones farmhouse kitchen.


'til next time,
post signature


Linking to:
Knick of Time

10 comments:

  1. Love your new find and it's just the right size to be used in so many areas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dawn! It is definitely a great size set :)

      Delete
  2. Love!!!!!!! This set is so pretty. You did a great job! I have missed your blog posting. So glad I get to "see" you n Facebook. :-) Hope your new year is off to a wonderful start.

    Have blessed week, Adina...
    Sherri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherri you are so sweet. Thank you and yes my new year is off to a great start. I hope yours is too :)

      Delete
  3. Mine is as well 💜 thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this, Adina! Love the white with wood top - my fave. ;) I'll be featuring your prodigal pieces tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awe, you made may day! Thank you Larissa. I'll be looking for it and will share it on social media!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete