Monday, May 18, 2015

Antique Vanity Mirror Turned Wall Shelf

Of course I can not find the before pictures anywhere.
Just imagine a dirty, old, dark wood vanity mirror without a vanity.
I picked this piece up at a garage sale a few weeks ago 
with the intention of giving it a makeover.



I started off by removing the wood detail accent pieces, 
so that I could remove the three mirror sections.




Then I glued and nailed a board to the bottom lip to create a shelf.
This lip would've originally rested the mirror on the top of a vanity.



I stained the new shelf board with a dark stain and let it dry overnight
before painting the entire piece with Amy Howard chalk paint in Bauhaus Buff.

I stained the shelf dark because the entire piece was dark wood and I wanted the exposed 
wood areas to match when I distressed the white paint. 


It took a few coats of white paint to get good coverage everywhere.
Once it was dry, I distressed the edges lightly and used a clear wax to seal and protect it.
Lastly, I put the three mirror sections back by attaching the wood accent pieces back on.


I added a heavy duty wire hanger to the back 
and now this mirror is ready to hang and enjoy it's new life as a wall shelf 
displaying beautiful things.

I love how it turned out. I especially love the curvy details, don't you?

Thanks for stopping by and I hope you have a blessed day.
'til next time,
post signature
Linking to:
Vintage Inspiration Party
Lets Talk Vintage 48

15 comments:

  1. adina this is lovely just lovely xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, I am visiting from Vintage Inspiration. I love everything about this ~ great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and thank you for the kind words!

      Delete
  3. So pretty :-)

    Blessings...
    Sherri

    ReplyDelete
  4. That turned out beautiful. I love your home I live by the beach in SO CA relocated from Colorado so I take my hat off to you because I don't do cold!!! It is beautiful when everything is white and no one has walked or tracked it up... But I must say it looks very peaceful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and I'm not a big fan of the cold either. I definitely enjoy a fresh snow, but that's about it in the winter. I'm hoping to get back to a coastal area again one day. Enjoy the salty air and send some my way ;)

      Delete
  5. So beautiful! You do such nice work! And I love the pop of pink from the roses, too. Thank you for sharing it with "Let's Talk Vintage!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jillian! I love the pink roses against the white too!

      Delete
  6. Just gorgeous! Great idea to make it a shelf. And white just makes her shine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much AnnMarie! The white definitely made it pop.

      Delete
  7. This is a great post about vanity morror. Thank for share it here! my vanity mirror reviews

    ReplyDelete